Ken and Alex.

Theatre Ah, the BBC. Still producing for radio the projects which we wish were on television:
"Kenneth Branagh and Alex Kingston to star in new BBC Radio 3 drama of Antony And Cleopatra for Shakespeare’s Birthday: Sunday 20 April

"Actors Kenneth Branagh and Alex Kingston will be cast as Shakespeare’s Antony and Cleopatra in a special production directed by BBC Radio drama’s Alison Hindell for BBC Radio 3 to mark the 450th anniversary of Shakespeare’s birth.

"Commenting on the announcement, Kenneth Branagh said: "I'm so happy to be teamed again with Alison Hindell, whose brilliant production of Life And Fate was one of the great pleasures of my work in radio. I'm also excited to be reunited with Alex Kingston after our hugely rewarding partnership in Macbeth on stage. To play another pair of Shakespeare's great couples, and for a personally beloved medium, is a privilege."
In the process of finding the original press release for this (I originally saw it at The Stage), I found the original release announcing Sally Wainwright's Last Tango in Halifax which I now discover was originally also called Antony and Cleopatra. I bet there was a meeting at some point when someone said "Won't people think it's the Shakespeare?" and so it was changed.

No comments: