kevlar

TV "I'm going to have to put on some kevlar here, because I sense that what I'm about to sense may offend some people. But here it is: I don't like Battlestar Galactica. Yes, it's probably the most popular science fiction television show in years. Yes, it's getting rave reviews from nearly everyone who watches it. No, that doesn't mean that it's good TV." -- The Listless Lawyer goes out on a limb.

The problem is I absolutely understand the argument and to a degree is cuts to the core of the discussion I was having with Louise recently regarding The Bourne Identity. How far can realism be stretched to keep suspense within drama? Seatbelts on the bridge of the Starship Enterprise in Star Trek are perfectly important and logical but the crew sitting steady as they're attacked doesn't make for stylish television. If you sit down and write out everything that happens during an average day on 24 it becomes fantasy because its often three of four major catastrophic events in one day every couple of years. Wrong. Jibberish. But it is a particular kind of drama. The creative arts are not always logical. Sometimes they're just trying to be fun. [I'm never going to win this argument am I?] That said, some knock Babylon 5 but at least J. Michael Straczynski knew how it would all end. If only that were true in other series.

No comments: