"as opposed to Facebook status updates, tweets and the like"

Grammar The New York Times explains the correct usage of commas:
"As a professor at the University of Delaware, I read a lot of writing by college students, and in it a strong recent trend is reversion to comma-by-sound. I attribute this not so much to students’ love of the Constitution and the classics but to the fact that they don’t read much edited prose (as opposed to Facebook status updates, tweets and the like). Two things that you really need to read a lot to understand are punctuation and spelling. (Not coincidentally, spelling is the other contemporary writing disaster.)"
Part Two is here. I like to think my punctuation is ok, even my syntax is all over the place. Which doesn't mean I'm not paranoid about the comma in that previous sentence.

No comments: